Vision Statement: A versatile community center, open to all, that evolves with changing technology and social trends to empower lifelong growth, learning, and education.
Mission Statement: Meeting individual and community needs through information, education, engagement, and enrichment.
Values: To realize our vision and fulfill our mission, the following ideals direct us in our service to Gaston County and interactions with one another:
- Quality of service: Respectful, polite, and consistently relevant, effective, efficient, and professional.
- Communication: Clear, concise, collaborative, and ongoing.
- Comfortable, Welcoming Environment: A place for relaxation and entertainment that is welcoming to all.
- Adaptability: Agile and responsive while making resources and services available to all
- Trust: Dependable, reliable, and always there to help you find what you are looking for.
- Empathy: Understanding, recognition, and honoring of a diversity of experience and perspective.
See the complete GCPL Strategic Plan (PDF).
Facilities & Services
The Gaston County Public Library operates ten facilities including the Main Library in Gastonia and branches: Belmont, Builders and Creators at Bessemer City, Cherryville, Dallas, Ferguson Branch (Erwin Center), Mt. Holly, Stanley, TECH at Lowell, and Union Road.
The Gaston County Public Library delivers services via three program areas:
- Administrative and Technical Services - Acquires, catalogs, processes, and distributes library materials for/to all Gaston County library service outlets. Staff provides technical support for the library's automation system and advisory and resource assistance to public service staff. Administration manages the Library budget, personnel, and day-to-day library business operations, determines system-wide library service direction, and establishes service policies and procedures.
- Main Library Services - Provides direct assistance to the public in-house, by telephone, fax, email, and the Library's website via two service points: Adult Services (Circulation and Reference) and Children's Services. Responsibilities include registering borrowers, processing loans and returns, answering reference and information requests, planning and conducting library activity programs, and assisting in-house users with library materials and equipment.
- Branch Library Services - Facilitate the delivery of library materials and services to citizens throughout the County. Staff provide direct assistance to library users: registering borrowers, processing loans and returns, answering reference and information requests, planning and conducting library activity programs, and assisting in-house users with library materials and equipment.
Resources available through the Gaston County Public Library include:
- Audiobooks, CDs, DVDs
- Career guides
- Information services
- Large print books
- Local history and genealogy
- Meeting rooms
- Public-access computers
- Voter registration forms
- Study rooms (main library)
- Fax service
- Interlibrary loans
- Job-search center
- Magazines and periodicals
- Online databases
- Photocopy service
- Spanish language materials
- Tax forms
Library-sponsored and co-sponsored educational and cultural activities include offerings for young people and adults:
- Author visits
- Community exhibits and displays
- Library tours
- Performing artists
- Summer reading program
- Book talks