In our Catalog do a Keyword search for:
Also try searching by a specific explorer's name; for example, Eli Whitney.
- R603 D. Dictionary of Inventions and Discoveries.
- 608.7 B. Discovery by Chance: Science and the Unexpected.
- 609 TIM. Great Inventions.
- 609.034 VAN. Inventing the 20th Century: 100 Inventions That Shaped the World From the Airplain to the Zipper.
- 609.2 EVA. They Made America: From the Steam Engine to the Search Engine.
- 609.2 NOO. Nineteenth-Century Inventors.
- 609.2 PHI. Great Scientists: Philosophy, Invention, and Engineering.
- R609.2 VAR. Patently Female: From AZT to TV Dinners: Stories of Women Inventors and Their Breakthrough Ideas.
- 609.22 F. Scientists & Inventors.
- 609.22 HAS. Outward Dreams: Black Inventors and Their Inventions.
- 609.2273 MACD. Feminine Ingenuity: Women and Invention in America.
- 609.73 SPI. American Firsts: Innovations, Discoveries, and Gadgets Born in the U.S.A.
- 920 ALT. Women Inventors
- R920 CAR. American Inventors Entrepreneurs and Business Visionaries.
- j920 JEF. American Inventors of the 20th Century.
- 920 NOR. American Computer Pioneers.
- 920 OLS. Inventors Who Left their Brands on America.
- R920 SPE. Great Men and Women of Computing.
- 920 V. Mothers of Invention: From the Bra to the Bomb: Forgotten Women and their Unforgettable Ideas.
- 920 VAR. Women Inventors & their Discoveries.
- Famous American Inventors: This site recognizes other less-prominent American innovators and their accomplishments.
- Famous Inventions & Famous Inventors: Explore the history behind your favorite inventions and learn about the lives of the famous inventors that created them.
- Inventor Hall of Fame: An alphabetical list of famous inventors.
- Famous Women Inventors: Biographical information about contemporary women inventors.
- Women Inventors: Includes an A-Z list of notable women inventors.
- Women of Invention: Women Inventors and Patent Holders: Selected internet resources.
Searching for Patents
Inventors patent their inventions for legal and commercial rights. Search Google Patents for the name of an invention and/or inventor and you may find a copy of the original patent. Drawings and descriptions are included with many of the patents in the database.
Be aware that many patents are similar in name and design since inventors build upon one another's work. For example you'll find hundreds of patents when you search for "light bulb." To narrow your search down to a reasonable number try clicking Advanced Patent Search and entering the patent title and/or inventor name in the spaces provided.
Author: Gaston County Public Library
Title: Famous Inventors
Revised: 2 April 2013